Welcome to the Track & Field Forum

A community dedicated to helping you improve on and off the track
Register Now

The past, the pesent and moving forward

Discussion in 'Throws' started by Jphomard, Oct 5, 2017.

Is my goal unobtainable?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Jphomard

Jphomard New Member

If you read in the introduction section, I was a thrower from sophomore year in high school. There I threw shot and discus. Fell in love with the discus more cause I showed better results and didn't have the explosive power needed for shot. I qualified for sectionals in my state but never progressed further than that since the competition was leagues ahead of me; throwing over 170 feet while I threw 140. Once out of high school I was away from the competition, once I transferred schools I joined the track and field team and was introduced to my passion now HAMMER woohoo. I loved practicing this event. Unfortunately my progress was halted by the need to graduate and the removal of our throwing coach. In the two years that I competed, I went from throwing 25 meters to throwing 45 meters in competition. but in practice I was able to throw into the low 50 meter range. Coming into the third year I was consistently throwing over 50 meters and could have broken 60 given enough time. While our throws coach didn't know much about the hammer there were several articles, websites and videos that I must give thanks to for their teachings. Without them I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much.

So moving forward..... I want to compete again. With the desire to be a better person everyday I have decided to once again lace up those smelly throwing shoes (those of you who have practiced in the mud and rain will understand) and throw again. But I don't just want to say oh yeah I threw at one meet and threw 42 meters. No I'm talking about throwing and being the guy who shows up to a meet, wows a crowd cause they didn't think a person like that would be here and then make connections and teach the younger throwers there. My ultimate goal is 70 meters. When will I achieve this, not so sure. But working towards this goal is probably going to be the most fun I will have had in a while.

Currently my wife and I live in an area that I have zero access to anywhere to throw. So I thought that in my time here I will work on my fitness, health, and technical skills. Doing drills day in and day out. In college I was 230 pounds and able to run a 5K in a respectable time. Now after being married and away from my craft I lost some strength, speed, and endurance. But I hope that my training will pay off because I don't plan on throwing until late 2018 or early 2019. but if life has taught me anything is that it's expect your plans to change and to encounter some obstacles along the way.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss any technique drills, or anything go ahead and leave a comment and I'll be happy to chat. Also I would like your opinion, in the question below do you think I'm over ambitious?

James likes this.
  2. James

James Administrator Staff Member

That's great to hear that you're getting back into the sport. I think your goal is very possible. :)

Your profile says your 25. At that age I think you still have a good window to peak. I'm not too familiar with throwers, but how old are some of the guys who've been in it a while? I can remember seeing quite a few of the same faces and all the big meets back when I was a runner.

My guess is that throwers can have a long career?

You mentioned that you were 230 pounds in college. Are you heavier or lighter now? That'll probably influence your focus a bit with the training.

3. Jphomard

Jphomard New Member

Kibwe Johnson back in the 2016 Rio Olympics was 35 when he threw. Which makes me have high hopes for my future. The hammer record holder was 31 when he threw, which again encourages me. Other throwers that I've either seen, competed, or researched have all been in their late 20's to mid 30's with one competitor being in his early 40's. So in short yes a throwers career as long as they take care of their body will have a longer career than some other event athletes. Currently I weigh 265 pounds, none of the weight that I gained is healthy, just fat. My current focus in training is losing the excess weight and footwork technique. My wife and I live in the suburbs of Boston, with no access to a hammer pit to throw from. So I think this is the best I can do for the time, until my wife and I move either to a different area or back to western Ohio where we are originally from.

4. James

That's a good starting point.

Do you have an annual training plan mapped out?

I have multiple certifications in track & field coaching, from USATF, USTFCCCA, etc. and have been a coach for a bit. And one of the first things to look at is what meet you want to "peak" at, then work backwards from there. You'll be able to clearly see what your training demands will require over the next months/year.

I'm just throwing that out there. You might already know this or have a coach.

Is it possible to make one out of wood or something and then go to a random field to throw?

I'm trying to learn more about the throws haha. I'm just trying to think outside the box a little. There might be an indoor track nearby too. Hmm...

When I was at LSU, one of my teammates was Walter Henning. I remember him throwing over 70m frequently. You might remember him.

Not sure if this is his YouTube page or not, but it has a bunch of his throws: https://www.youtube.com/user/whenning2/videos

I remember the throwers training program at LSU was really good. Coach Derek Yush is awesome. Might be worth reaching out to him to see if he has any recommendations for your training. He was always willing to help me when I had questions related to lifting.

5. Jphomard

Jphomard New Member

I think I have finally mapped out a plan, but I don't have a coach to tell me where I am going wrong or what I can improve on. There are a few meets where I have found that I can enter in March and April. Tuffs Snowflake Classic, UMass T&F meet, Tuffs Sunshine Classic, Eric Loeschner T&F Invite, and Holy Cross Invite. I did not know about picking a meet and moving backwards from there. I'm guessing, I pick an obtainable goal and move from there? In my search I did find that Fitchburg State University has a place for me to practice. I'm not too worried about the cold weather and throwing in that. Back in 2014 my throws team threw in 4 degree weather.... It was so cold but so much fun to bond in our little ice fishing hut.

My training plan goes as follows
    October through Mid December - Insanity for weight loss, increase tempo and coordination.
    Starting in November - Doing footwork drills simulated throws and actual throws.
    January through March - Strength Training and more of the above.
    Starting in April I will begin throwing in meets, most likely competing in UMass T&F meet, Eric Loeschner Invite, and holy cross invite. I may try to find some earlier as these meets I've listed are in Mass.

My hopes are that I will start off the first meet close to where I left off in college near 42m, and finish above 50m by the beginning of May.

Is this a good plan? Never made one of these so not sure if this is what I should expect.
    Any help is much appreciated.

6. James

By deciding on the exact meet that you want to peak at, and filling in all the other meets you plan to compete at ahead of time, you set yourself up to have a clear path on how to get where you want to go.

It's the exact reason why you see the same NCAA track & field teams consistently placing in the top 10 every NCAA championship meet. The coaches plan to have their athletes peak at the NCAA prelims and NCAA finals.

There's lots of information out there about goal setting. One of the common things is setting a goal that's specific and has an exact date.

So example: I will throw 70m at the UMass T&F Meet on April 20th, 2018. (just an example, I'm not sure what your throw goal is for this season at this time)

Now you know exactly what you want to accomplish and when you plan on doing that by. It's much easier to work backwards from there all the way up until today. This will help you keep the bigger picture in mind, but keeping you focused on the NOW. The choices you make now will direct where you're headed in the future.

If I decided to run every single day for at least an hour for 365 days without doing any weight lifting, then it's pretty predictable that I'm going to be extra skinny (assuming I eat a decent diet) without much muscle mass.

I think this is a good plan for your first year getting back into throwing. I'd like to see your weight lifting/strength the entire year, even with insanity.

&*Side note, I did personally do the entire Insanity program myself after I graduated college. It does work. However, I noticed there was a lot of stress on my feet/legs from the constant jumping. I never missed a day of training when I did it.**

I can't speak for the throwers at LSU (but I'm confident the same thing applies to throwers), but the sprint team would train a little of everything the entire year. We'd do starts in the fall just like we'd do leading up to the SEC championships. Our volume/intensity of the training/lifting would change through the year. But, most of the training was pretty consistent throughout the whole year.

The coaches would never say, we're only going to work on conditioning in the fall and save the technical sprint stuff for later. We fined tuned everything from the start of the training season. The fall would start with higher volume, lower intensity. Then, the winter would be a balance of volume/intensity. Then, the spring would be low volume, high intensity.

We were well rounded all year with the training though. However, we did get much more technical and fine tuned as it got closer to the championship meets while backing off of the conditioning/high volume stuff.

I like that you start actually throwing in November. I hope you combine the tempo/coordination/cardio with some strength training and some basic drills in the beginning. Focusing more on volume/intensity changes as you move into each season.

We would start with the annual plan which maps out the meets you plan on going to and the meet(s) you want your peak performance to be. Typically the last meet of the season.

Then, we'd break it down into macrocycles (split between indoor and outdoor track and field seasons)
    Then, mesocycles (each month)
    Then, microcycles (each week)
    Then, daily training (warm, drills, workout, lifting, cooldown)

This way we have an easier time seeing when to adjust the volume/intensity leading us to the final meet for a peak performance.

I think this is very possible.

I realize that the stuff I just wrote is a lot to take it. Think about it all though. Success is typically found in the process. Creating your annual training plan and actually doing it is the process. After daily improvement over the year, you'll be rewarded with the event...in this case, achieving a new PR at the meet you just now decided to peak at.

7. Jphomard

Jphomard New Member

Here is my updated plan taking what you said and trying to adapt it to my lifestyle I can.

November (w1-4) continue to do insanity for speed foot work and weight loss. i need to lose weight so i can later build muscle and become faster. Then do med ball and footwork drills. while throwing the implement on the weekends. week 3 there is a focus of watching what i eat as to not take a step in the weight loss.Strength training is occuring

December (w1-4) this month is similar to the last but with an increase in med ball work outs and abdominal work while trying to make it outside for throwing with winter coming soon in the new england area. a special focus is emphasized around the holidays to not undo the weight loss work. ladder foot work will be done when throwing is not able to be done. strength training is occuring

January (w1-5) med ball drill, footwork and strength training is the main focus for this and next month due to weather.

February same as before.

March go and throw heavy ball and light ball high intensity
    April throw high intensity.

i feel like this plan is a lot better and does what you said it would do... keeps me focused on my objective but keeps me in the now.

the one trouble im having now is what to eat, and when. should i be eating small meals 5-6 times a day or eat 3 meals? i understand meal balancing and nutrition but not certain on when to eat.

8. James

Awesome! Yes, I think it's much better too.

It's more efficient to eat more often throughout the day.

To focus on meal balancing the best way is to focus on having protein/fat/fiber within each meal.

Here's a good rule of thumb for the fiber about: for every 20g of carbs, make sure to get at least 4g of fiber.

Protein is mostly for your muscle building. Up to 30g per meal. You just want to make sure you get some type of protein and avoid eating a mostly carb meal.

Example: if you eat a pasta meal, then make sure you're getting your protein/fat/fiber at the same time. It'll help keep your energy level consistent throughout the day and maximize your performance level.

For fat, you want to stick with the "good" fats like polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.

The perfect food to understand the balancing is Almonds. I just took this picture of the back of a bag of Almonds:

1024171333.jpg

As you can see, the fat is primarily the good fats for you. These types of fat will help improve your testosterone and growth hormones.

The carb/fiber ratio is really good.

Low sugar content (sugar gives you energy, but when you have too much, then it turns into unwanted fat)

And, a decent amount of protein per serving.

I personally and would advise athletes to focus on having a good mix of protein/fat/fiber with each meal throughout the day. So yes, 5-6 meals would be excellent, but with each meal have a good combination of protein/fat/fiber. Your carb intake will happen naturally because many of the foods we eat are full of carbs.

I'd also recommend you taking some kind of protein shake. Other supplements aren't really necessary unless you want to add creatine.

When you get your meals right, you'll see a performance increase and a consistency with your training. You'll rarely have an "off" day.

I've spent many years working on my meal plan to get it right for me. I've met with several nutritionist, including a nutritionist who specifically works with the LSU athletics (mostly football) teams.

Hopefully this info was helpful.

I look at things from what an athlete needs to perform. It's tough because most of the information on the internet is directed toward weight loss without much consideration to performance.

If you balance your meals like this while you consistently train, then you'll naturally lose the fat you don't want while building muscle you do want.

I'm not much of a believer in going on "diets" to starve yourself. It's all about a balance and consistency that creates a lifestyle change.

Lastly, drink tons of water. You can look at it as splitting up your day into thirds (morning/mid-day/night) and taking in an equal amount of water during each of those times. That'll help keep your hydration level up. If I remember correctly, you want to drink half of your body weight in fluid ounces of water per day as an athlete.

So, if you're 265 pounds, then 132.5 ounce of water or 16.6 eight ounce glasses of water. Break that up into thirds so about 5.5 eight ounce glasses of water throughout each time period of the day (morning/mid-day/night). *as you lose weight, your required water intake will decrease.

At first you'll have to go to the bathroom a lot if you aren't used to taking in that much water. But, within a few weeks your body will adapt.

One other thing I recommend: drinking about 8 ounces of pineapple juice a day. It's one of the best natural anti-inflammatory. That'll help keep your body good during the intense training season.